Why your weight matters
Managing your weight well contributes to good health. While committing to a healthy lifestyle may seem overwhelming at first, a few small lifestyle changes may lead to healthier habits which can benefit you and your family.
If you want to lose or maintain your weight, Kaiser Permanente is here to help. We invite you to participate in our fun and engaging “Don’t Weight to get in Shape” program to help manage your weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
All State and County employees, retirees, and dependents ages 18 years and older are invited to participate in our 2023 Don’t WEIGHT to get in Shape program at no additional cost.
Challenges to motivate you
Be inspired! Our 4-week challenges provide a sense of adventure and motivation as you learn to practice healthy behaviors.
10K-a-Day: February 13 to March 12, 2023
Click here to register This physical activity campaign challenges you to accumulate the equivalent of 10,000 steps each day. Use your favorite devices and mobile apps to record exercise minutes that convert to steps for your favorite activities such as biking, swimming, tennis, and more.
Click here to view a short video about the 10K-a-Day challenge and how you can participate!
Renew: August 14 to September 10, 2023
Looking for an opportunity to reinvigorate and refresh yourself? Renew offers strategies for all aspects of well-being — physical, mental, social, and emotional. We encourage you to complete activities each day that mean the most to you.
Registration begins in July
Webinars to support your healthy lifestyle
Taking Care of Your Health
Learn about heart disease, identify risk factors, and explore the Mediterranean and plant-based meal plans for heart health.
- February 16, 2023: 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Discuss challenges related to meeting the needs of multiple generations and brainstorm creative solutions.
- February 21, 2023: 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Explore ways to learn from past experience and build new skills to be more resilient.
- May 18, 2023: 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Find Your Joy
Explore how positive psychology and practical strategies can nurture happiness while learning concepts and evidence-based practices that foster well-being, such as kindness, empathy, gratitude, and awe.
- May 23, 2023: 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Ready, Set, Goal - Healthy Habits
Choose a behavior to target and explore ways to strengthen motivation to create habits that stick and learn key strategies that lead to health improvement.
- August 17, 2023: 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Keys to Preventing Diabetes
Discover the five keys to preventing diabetes: eating healthy, getting active, quitting tobacco, managing stress, and sleeping well.
- August 22, 2023: 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Review common health concerns and screenings and find strategies to keep every family member healthy while practicing self-care.
- September 14, 2023: 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Building Fitness into Your Day
Explore practical ways to integrate movement into the day, discuss the benefits of short, simple forms of exercise, and practice a brief fitness routine.
- November 16, 2023: 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Viva Veggies - Plant Strong Eating
Learn about plant-strong eating and how it can improve your health and sense of wellbeing.
- November 21, 2023: 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Click here to register ›
Make health a family priority
As a parent or caregiver, keeping your family healthy may be a lot to handle. Many health conditions have a significant lifestyle component. While family members have similar genetics, they also often share strong environmental factors too, such as diet and exercise. In many cases, healthy habits can reduce your risk for diseases that run in your family. Here are 4 tips to help you and your family be healthy and happy.
1. Get active
Make exercise a regular part of your life. Being active helps you stay healthy and control your weight. We recommend you:
- Participate in physical activities that you and your family enjoy and can do together.
- Talk to your doctor if you haven't been very active or have health concerns.
- Visit kp.org/exercise for fitness programs to help you thrive.
2. Eat healthy
Healthy eating is important at every age. The best way to encourage your family to eat healthy is to eat well yourself. Use these tips to eat healthier:
- Try to make at least half of your plate vegetables with a goal of a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- For healthy snacking, choose whole foods, such as fresh fruits, whenever possible as many processed snack foods are some of the least nutritious choices.
- Visit kp.org/nutrition for more healthy nutrition tips.
3. Be proactive with health care
Good health care begins with building a relationship with your personal physician.
Seeing your primary care provider every year, even if you're not feeling bad, is important for health screenings and maintenance. An annual exam can help detect signs and symptoms of disease early, which allows for early intervention.
Download our flyer to learn how to get care without leaving the comfort and safety of your home.
4. Know your Body Mass Index
Your Body Mass Index (BMI) can help you determine whether you are at an unhealthy or healthy weight. In general, the higher your BMI, the greater their chances of developing certain serious conditions. Use the BMI Calculator and see if you are at risk.
Don’t Weight to Get in Shape Program Guide
For Kaiser Permanente members:
Your Kaiser Permanente plan benefits
Staying on top of your health is very important. Get the most out of your Kaiser Permanente health plan by using the valuable resources and services available to you as a Kaiser Permanente member.
Health and wellness resources at your fingertips
Good health goes beyond the doctor’s office. Explore wellness resources and tools and choose one that fits your life.
- Did you know you can manage your care online? Simply go to kp.org to sign up and begin securely accessing many time-saving tools. You can schedule routine appointments, view most lab results, refill most prescriptions, and more.
- Do you need a little extra support? Talk to a Wellness Coach by Phone at no additional cost. Your coach will work with you to help you reach your health goals. Call a wellness coach at 808-432-2260.
- Explore some of the convenient Kaiser Permanente healthy extras available to Kaiser Permanente members and choose one that fits your life.
Earn your rewards
Kaiser Permanente members*: Complete the Total Health Assessment (THA) and earn $25. It takes only 10 minutes to complete. The THA is a confidential online tool that assesses your health behaviors and risk factors. You can also earn an additional $75 by completing up to 3 digital Healthy Lifestyle Programs to address the health risks identified by the THA.
*Open to all Kaiser Permanente EUTF subscribers and your enrolled spouse/domestic partner, 18 years old and older, except for retirees and those enrolled in the HSTA VB Plan.
Additional weight management resources
Changing the way you approach weight loss may help you be more successful at weight management. Setting the right goals and focusing on lifestyle changes such as following a healthy eating plan, watching portion sizes, being physically active, and reducing sedentary time are much more effective.